What is color masterbatch?
Color masterbatch, is a new type of polymer material special colorant, also known as pigment preparation.
It is composed of three basic elements: pigment or dye, carrier and additive. It is the aggregate of super constant pigment or dye uniformly attached to resin. It can be called pigment concentrate, so its coloring power is higher than the pigment itself.
In short, color masterbatch is an aggregate of a pigment or dye that is uniformly attached to a resin.
What are the basic components of color masterbatch?
The basic composition of the color masterbatch:
1. Pigment or dye
Pigments are divided into organic pigments and inorganic pigments.
Commonly used organic pigments are: phthalocyanine red, phthalocyanine blue, phthalocyanine green, fast red, macromolecular red, macromolecular yellow, permanent yellow, permanent purple, azo red and so on.
Commonly used inorganic pigments are: cadmium red, cadmium yellow, titanium dioxide, carbon black, iron oxide red, iron oxide yellow and so on.
The carrier is the matrix of the color masterbatch. Special color masterbatch generally choose the same resin as the product resin as the carrier, the compatibility of the two is the best, but also consider the fluidity of the carrier.
Promote the pigment evenly dispersed and no longer condensed, the melting point of dispersant should be lower than the resin, and the resin has good compatibility, and the pigment has a good affinity. The most commonly used dispersants are polyethylene low molecular wax and stearate.
Such as flame retardant, brightening, antibacterial, antistatic, antioxidant and other varieties, unless the customer request, generally does not contain the above additives in the color masterbatch.
What are the varieties and grades of color masterbatch?
The classification methods of color masterbatch are commonly used as follows:
Classification by carrier: such as PE master, PP master, ABS master, PVC master, EVA master, etc.
Classification by use: such as injection master, blow molding master, spinning master, etc.
Each variety can be divided into different grades, such as:
1. Advanced injection color masterbatch: Used for cosmetic packaging boxes, toys, electrical enclosures and other advanced products.
2. Ordinary injection color masterbatch: Used for general daily plastic products, industrial containers, etc.
3. Advanced blow film color masterbatch: used for blow molding coloring of ultra-thin products.
4. Ordinary blowing film color masterbatch: used for general packaging bags, woven bags blow coloring.
5. Spinning color masterbatch: used for textile fiber spinning coloring, color master pigment particles fine, high concentration, strong coloring power, good heat resistance, light resistance.
6. Low-grade color masterbatch: used for manufacturing low-grade products with low color quality requirements, such as garbage cans, low-grade containers, etc.
7. Special color masterbatch: according to the plastic variety specified by the user for products, choose the same plastic as the carrier made of master color. For example, PP master and ABS master respectively choose PP and ABS as carriers.
8. Universal color masterbatch: a resin (usually PE with low melting point) is also used as the carrier, but it can be applied to the coloring of other resins in addition to the carrier resin.
Universal color masterbatch is relatively simple and convenient, but it has many disadvantages. The heat resistance level of the special color masterbatch is generally suitable for the plastics used in the product, and can be used at normal temperature. Varying degrees of discoloration can only be caused under the following circumstances, one is the temperature is out of the normal range, one is the downtime is too long.
9. Compared with granulation coloring, color masterbatch has the following advantages:
(1) Coloring and product processing is completed once, to avoid the heating process of granulation and coloring of plastic, to protect the quality of plastic products is good.
(2) The production process of plastic products is the most simplified.
(3) Can save a lot of electricity.
Why use color masterbatch?
Using color masterbatch has the following advantages:
1. Better dispersion of pigment in products
Color masterbatch is an aggregate made by attaching a superconstant amount of pigment uniformly to a resin.
In the process of color masterbatch production, the pigment must be refined to improve the dispersion and coloring power of the pigment. The carrier of the special color masterbatch is the same as the plastic of the product, and has good matching. After heating and melting, the pigment particles can be well dispersed in the plastic of the product.
2. Maintain the chemical stability of pigment
If the pigment is used directly, the pigment will absorb water and oxidizing due to its direct contact with the air during storage and use. After becoming color masterbatch, the resin carrier will isolate the pigment from the air and water, so that the quality of the pigment can remain unchanged for a long time.
3. Ensure the stability of product color
The color masterbatch is similar to the resin particle, which is more convenient and accurate in measurement. When mixing, it will not adhere to the container, and the mixing with the resin is more uniform, so it can ensure the stability of the addition amount, so as to ensure the stability of the product color.
4. Protect the health of the operator
The pigment is generally powdery, which is easy to fly when added and mixed, and will affect the health of the operator after being inhaled by the human body.
5. Keep the environment clean and stain-free utensils
6. Simple process, easy to turn color, saves time and raw materials
Due to the pigment in the process of storage and use of direct contact with the air, so there will be moisture absorption, oxidation, clumping and other phenomena, direct use will appear on the surface of plastic products color spots, color dark, color easy to fade, and cause dust flying when mixing, affecting the health of the operator.
And the color masterbatch in the production process through mechanical processing, the pigment was refined, the pigment and resin carrier, dispersant is fully mixed, so that the pigment and air, water isolation, thus enhancing the pigment weather resistance, improve the dispersion and coloring power of the pigment, color bright. Due to the similar shape of the color masterbatch and resin pellets, it is more convenient and accurate in measurement. When mixing, it will not adhere to the container, so it saves the time of cleaning the container and the machine and the raw materials used in the cleaning machine.